The Law of Consecration

In the Church of Jesus Christ, we make promises with God to remember Jesus, do his work, be obedient, and give all that we are to build up his church. In return, he promises us never ending happiness in his presence, with our families. 

I've always stood by the promises I've made to God, and I've tried my best to sacrifice for him and do all that he's asked me to do. When we joined the military, those promises were really put to the test. I experienced months on vomiting and anxiety while my husband was at training- the thought of this new life was quite literally hard to stomach. 

Since then, I've had other occasions where I become particularly overwhelmed by what is asked of us- specifically what is asked of me as I support Tyler in his (our) work here on the earth. 

Recently, after gaining knowledge of more upcoming commitment and sacrifice, I found myself spiraling into another one of these anxious pits. 

As I've reflected on these experiences, a few things have come to mind. 

One, is that rather than making the uncomfortable stimuli stop (my husband being gone all the time) I have to increase my own ability to endure with faith, and confidence in Christ's ability to sustain me through difficult times. 

Two, so many women in the church have sacrificed so much so their husbands can serve- we see it with the wives of bishops, prophets, and one woman especially, Emma Smith. Her role as supporter to Joseph, literally required every fiber of her body and soul to sustain. And she gave the ultimate sacrifice, as her husband died a martyr for the truth. 

Then who am I to say, "this is too painful. I've had enough. This isn't the kind of sacrifice I intended to give" when so many before me have given so much. 

Going forward, I know that it is essential for me to follow God's path for our life, it is essential for me to support Tyler in all the things he is feeling directed to do, and it is essential for me to overcome my own fears and anxieties through the atonement of Jesus Christ, and develop the confidence necessary to sustain the path before us. 

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, and one who has promised to sacrifice everything to build his kingdom, I MUST do so. 

I follow a God that keeps his promises, and I know that as I keep mine to him, he will restore and bless me in the next life, with every desire of my heart, and so much more. 

Comments

Popular Posts