A Little Word on Being Used...

Dear Friends of the local neighbor hood, have you ever been used? Perhaps you are wondering what I mean by this. Allow me to shed some light on the subject. To be used means, to be exploited by someone for their own selfish purposes, and then to be totally and completely forgotten. The experience of being used isn't obvious, because often it looks as though you are being loved, but, it later turns into a lie. 

Unfortunately, most of the people doing the using DON'T REALIZE THEY'RE DOING IT. Which is why I am drawing attention to the issue today.

Oftentimes, people feel lonely, and in need of companionship, and so they act in a way that suggests they want to commit to you. But really, they are just filling a void, for a temporary moment.

Please, control yourself. If you have feelings of loneliness, love, or anything along those lines, DO NOT ACT ON THOSE FEELINGS, unless you intend to back them up with COMMITMENT.  




Yes, Non-committal make-outers, I'm talking to you. AND noncommittal cuddlers, AND non committal hand holders. 

Those are NOT things you do for fun, on one date, because you feel like it! Those are actions that have MEANING, and when you do those things without the sentiment behind the act, those things which were once sweet demonstrations of affection, become hollow and meaningless. So PLEASE, have a little respect for yourself, for true love, and for the people around you, and DON'T DO IT. 

I know it's hard, because a lot of us are in college, trying to find someone we could date and potentially marry, and that process can feel long at times. I know it can be easy to seek instant gratification when it feels like genuine lasting relationships aren't developing, so I do have some sympathy for you.

But the truth is, when you pretend love, instead of experiencing love, it's not rewarding at all. It's actually nauseating. Honestly, I don't even want to be hugged or held anymore for a long time, because I don't think it means a thing to the people who show me this love, and that makes it totally worthless. 

So please, consider the effects of your acts of affection, before executing them. Ask yourself, do I love this person? Am I commitment to them? Do I intend to continue being there for them, or will I walk away tomorrow? 

If you know in your heart that you're not sticking around, don't make them think that you are. Don't make them feel used. 


Comments

Popular Posts